Monday, September 22, 2008

Just a little rant?

Any one who knows me knows that I do not like the 2005 version of Pride and Prejudice (the one with Kiera Knightly). Well some how on Saturday night I got sucked into watching it. It started out innocently enough. I would just flip to it during the commercials of the show that I was actually watching. Well that show ended and there was nothing else on (and I mean nothing!). So, Justin and I watched it. I spent the whole movie explaining in great detail what was wrong. It didn't help that every few minutes Justin would look at me and say "That can't be right."

Of all of the things that bug me (and trust me there are plenty). I think the thing that drove me crazy was the costuming. The extras were better dressed than any of the principle actors. I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I have spent a great deal of time researching regency costuming. Like I said in the title I am trying to keep this rant on the small side (too late I know). I will conclude with a shout out to Caroline Bingley at the Netherfield ball "Woman go back to your room and put you dress on!!!!!!"

5 comments:

Michelle D. Argyle said...

I agree with your rant! Can I rant, too?

The cinematography was great, but yes, that was about it. Music was okay. Actors sucked (except for Jane), costumes really, really sucked, and I hated most of the scenes and how they played out. And the end . . . gag me now.

Cierra::The Yellow House said...

I'm so glad that you feel the same way I do :)

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Love the new layout!

The Gerlings said...

he he he Ah, but I do love the movie! Even of the clothes were fudged to the wrong side of decent.

Jane Austen is a tough set of books to play well, especially if you keep to the books exactly. There are a lot of undercurrents that just don't translate well to the screen. I'd love to see Pride and Prejudice, or for that matter Persuasion, redone with some imagination from the poor dottering male's POV.

But, well, to each his own. I'm sure the Orthodox Austenites would protest such an intrusion. :o)

Belle Austen said...

house 6-

Just out of curiosity which adaptations of Austen are you familiar with? I am admittedly obsessed with Austen and am always interested in what others think.