Saturday, October 4, 2008

Frankly my dear, I don't give a ...

This is a companion piece to a post on Michelle's blog (The Innocent Flower) called "Top 10 reasons a best friend hates my novel". Some of you know Michelle and some of you don't. She is a dear friend of mine who has been working on her first novel for the last six months. I have been doing all that I can as a friend to support her in this. It has led to some very weird conversations and weeks that go by when we seem to have the exact same conversation every time she calls, usually beginning and ending with the phrase "No you are not a bad writer..." or "No I mean it, it is a great story. I am sure it will be published". Some days it is like having asking my children to do something, they just don't listen to me. So here in all its glory is my top 10 reasons why I hate Michelle's novel:

Number 10:
When she sent me the first draft after 3 months of writing: "I have not finished reading it yet! stop calling me!"

Number 9:
Can you say baggage?

Number 8:
I have spent the last six months telling her she is NOT a lousy writer! And I'm still telling her . . .

Number 7:
Poor, poor, poor Adam (her abandoned husband)

Number 6:
It used to be that I could have a crisis!

Number 5:
She even writes when she's at my house

Number 4:
If your name isn't Karen, Eric, Naomi, or Jesse, you don't matter

Number 3:
All of the emotional trauma of a real-life crisis - none of the resolution

Number 2:
If I have to talk her down off the ledge one more time, I will jump!

Number 1:
Michelle who?


Heather, I know you are reading this and you better comment!

4 comments:

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Well, nobody's commented yet, so I guess I will now (unless they just haven't showed up).

First of all, I LOVE YOU!

I love that you care enough about me to support me through all of this Naomi crap. I love that you care enough about me that you haven't jumped off that ledge yet.

Where would I be without YOU!!!!

And I love that we both have a sense of humor and can laugh through this whole thing. ONE day we will both be laughing all the way to the bank when I make big bucks on my first publication. You know I'll buy you something really grand and nice. Like a crapload of Levenger stuff, 10 more pairs of shoes, and 5 new purses.

You'll be begging me to write another novel before you know it.

Darkthane said...

Yay! I made the list. Wait only at number 7?!?

Heather said...

I loved it so much I made my own list to compliment yours! Check out my blog for the list.

The Gerlings said...

*poke poke* URL feed? Do you have it switched on? Why not? Go forth, turn on, my link to you doesn't update...


Re: The List
I think this is why none of my friends living in the same time zone know I write. They'd probably get angry with how little I'm actually in reality. And how much I talk about characters like their people.