Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Duels

I have been giving a lot of thought to the comment Darkthane made on my last post. He suggested that dueling was a source of entertainment. The idea has merit, but I discovered a few flaws.

It seems that the duel would be between two men that I liked, one man that I liked and one I didn't or two that I didn't like. The first would be bad because someone I liked would be wounded or dead. The second could have the same result and to add insult to injury I would be stuck with someone I didn't like. The third wouldn't be any fun at all because I wouldn't care or would again get me stuck with someone I didn't like.

If my understanding of period etiquette is correct a proper lady couldn't watch anyway. That is if the men involved actually told her about it in the first place. If you chose to go, you were most likely not proper in which case you would have just run off with the guy in the first place.

Finally, if everything went well and it all turned out for the best, your hero would be sweaty and/or bloody. He would want some kind of a kiss and that would be the end of your dress. Can you imagine trying to get blood out of lace or velvet? Your maid would surely give notice and without a good ladies maid there is no telling what you would look like.

I am afraid that when all is said and done duels are much more fun if you are the duelist. Hmmm I think I need to get a sword.

1 comments:

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Well, come on. What woman hasn't dreamed of two men dueling over her? No matter the circumstance!

I think, hmmm, I think maybe it has to do with the swords or something. You know that's the whole reason I married Adam. j/k

Maybe it's just the idea of two men so in love with you that they're willing to die. "To die for love! What could be more romantic?" Pathetic ends, my dear, that's all I have to say.

I think the idea of a duel might just be pathetic all together. Come to think of it, who wants a man who can't just sit down and talk through things? Violence to get you . . . and perhaps violence afterwards. I'd be afraid he might use the sword on me if I tick him off.

Of course, we all know that lovely lady in the green dress is completely incapable of irritating her lover!